Brushing Your Pet's Teeth: A Step-by-Step Guide
If your pup recently licked your face and it smelled a little funky, then it’s probably time for some dental hygiene! Brushing your pet’s teeth doesn’t have to be so tricky or difficult. Follow the steps below:
- Find the Right Time: You want to find a time to brush your pet’s teeth when you are not in a rush and have some time to spare. Brushing your pet’s teeth requires gentle care and patience and if you’re rushing then your pet’s teeth may not get brushed properly. Additionally, find a time when your pet is in a calm mood and isn’t agitated, stressed, or frightened by anything. This will help them relax while you brush their teeth.
- Have everything ready: One way to stay ready for teeth cleans is to have everything in one place that is easily accessible. Some pets will be quick to run around if you’re about to brush their teeth so it’s important to have everything ready. This includes a toothbrush with firm bristles, pet toothpaste, and anything else your vet has recommended to you.
- Use a gentle circular motion when brushing: When brushing your pet’s teeth, use a gentle circular motion so that the brush isn’t too harsh on your pup’s mouth.
- Focus on the plaque: Plaque can cause serious health issues in your pet if it’s not taken care of properly. Focus on the plaque the next time you brush your pet’s teeth and be sure to clean those hard to reach areas in the back of your pet’s mouth, as this is where a majority of the plaque tends to build up.
- Use positive reinforcement: Finally, be sure to reward your pet for a job well done! Brushing your pet’s teeth can be a fun bonding experience between you and your pet. You want your pet to have an enjoyable experience so that the next time they will be more patient and easy to work with.
Professional Grooms in Chicago and Lakeview
Dogaholics offers teeth cleans and professional grooms at affordable prices for your beloved furry companions! We offer services such as baths, blow-drys, brush-outs, haircuts, nail trims, ear cleaning, and more! If you’re in the Chicago and Lakeview areas, check out Dogaholics! Contact us today to schedule an appointment.